You can remove carpet spots yourself if you act immediately.
Be knowledgeable. What you don’t know can hurt your rug. Don’t make it worse. Try our emergency response tips for carpet spot removal.
- When something is spilled on your carpet or area rug, remove it immediately. The longer it remains in your carpet, the more difficult it is to remove.
- Don’t add solution to the spill. Dab as much of it up as you can with a dry Teri-towel.
- After you have dabbed up what you can with a dry towel, apply a cleaning solution to a Teri-towel and continue dabbing. The solution will draw the spot to your towel.
- Do not spray the carpet. It will cause the spot to “blossom” (spread). Avoid hot water extraction methods of carpet cleaning (“steam-cleaning”). The solution is sprayed into the carpet, causing the spots to spread and go down further into the carpet and pad. Even if the spot appears to be removed, it can re-surface over time.
- The solution you use to remove carpet spots depends on what was spilled or tracked on to your rug. Contact Us if you need advice
- Most spots are near the surface. To remove carpet spots, just apply solution to the surface. Carpet deep-cleaning is the last thing you need for carpet spot removal.
- Do not allow moisture to remain in your carpet or area rug. Moisture left more than 24 hours can result in mold. Mold is not just a messy spot. Mold is organic and living. It must eat to grow and your carpet it edible! The odor will permeate the entire rug.
There is a risk to using “hot water extraction” methods to remove carpet spots or for carpet cleaning in general. This method, also known as carpet steam-cleaning, is used by Stanley Steemer, Coit, and most other truck-mounted carpet cleaners. One of the risks of this method is it leaves a large amount of water and solution in your carpet or rug. If it does not dry in 24 hours, mold and mildew can grow, leaving your carpet in worse shape than when it was just dirty.
- Call Advanced Dry Carpet Care for the best carpet spot removal. We can sometimes come out the same day. If we can’t, we can at least provide emergency response advice so you can remove carpet spots.